Preventing HIV is critical. Talk to your partners about your HIV status and theirs before having sex. Today, there are more options than ever to prevent HIV.
- Talk to you partners about your HIV status – and theirs – before having sex.
- Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) is a daily pill taken by HIV-negative people to prevent HIV.
- Condoms are effective prevention used during sex. Get free condoms by mail!
- Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) is a daily pill taken after a possible exposure to HIV. PEP must be started within 72 hours of the exposure.
- Limit your number of sexual partners.
- Have less risky sex.
- Never share needles.
Also remember to get tested for STDs at least once a year. STDs can have long-term effects on your health. They can also increase your risk of passing HIV to others.
Visit FAM210.com for a list of free and low – cost HIV prevention services in San Antonio, including HIV / STD testing locations and PrEP/PEP providers.